Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Frugal Home Series

Over the past few weeks I've been experimenting with some DIY recipes for home cleaners.  All I have to say is WOW.  There are so many natural and cheap ways to clean your home that I often catch myself saying out loud, "Wow, God, you really knew what you were doing when you made creation".  Well, Duh.
 I thought I would share some of the "recipes" I use over the next week or so in a series.
Yep, a series.  Never thought I would do that!  It's called the "Frugal Home Series".  I'm not so much concerned with naturally cleaning my home (although it is a plus in some of the recipes!).  I'm more concerned with cleaning my home cheaply.

A lot of DIY home cleaning products include the following "ingredients".  The majority of DIY cleaners have Borax, Washing Soda, Water, and Vinegar, or any combination of these 4 (plus or minus soap in some cases).  As far as I am concerned they are bomb and I wanted to know where these natural things came from.  So, here is a little background info for you:
Borax
Borax is a naturally occurring mineral composed of sodium, boron, oxygen and water. Borax is generally found embedded deep in the ground, along with clay and other substances.  According to 20 Mule Team Borax, it improves cleaning power of detergent, helps remove tough stains, is a natural alternative to colorsafe bleach, deodorizes and freshens, and naturally softens hard water.  You can use it in the bathroom to remove Soap Scum, Hard Water Deposits and Dirt, and eliminate odors- same with the kitchen.  Cleaning gold


Washing Soda 

 According to Arm and Hammer, Washing soda adds extra cleaning and freshening power for tough household jobs. Works as a laundry detergent booster and as a household cleaner. It's not only an effective cleaner, it is an all-natural product.  Saweet.

Vinegar
According to Vinegar Tips, White distilled vinegar is a popular household cleanser, effective for killing most mold, bacteria, and germs, due to its level of acidity. Cleaning with white distilled vinegar is a smart way to avoid using harsh chemicals. In laundry, it makes whites whiter and brights brighter.  It is also a fabric softener!  Vinegar is made from distilled corn alcohol.  Coolio.

During the series, I will blog about (and tell you whether I found it to work!) the following "recipes":
  • Dishwasher Detergent
  • Laundry Detergent
  • Fabric softener
  • Liquid hand or body soap (okay, no borax, WS, or Vinegar in that one!)
  • Foaming hand soap (yep, none in that either)
  • Carpet and clothing stain remover
  • Bathroom cleaner
Do yourself a favor and invest in:
  • 1 box borax
  • 1 box washing soda
  • 1 HUGE jug of vinegar (I bought the jug pictured for only $2.15 at Walmart)
  • Dawn Soap ( I bought the clear hypoallergenic kind!)
See you soon for some awesome cleaning tutorials!

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

    designed with love by beautiful dawn designs