Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Chicken Bacon Ranch Wraps

For some reason I am far more organized concerning meal planning during the school year than during the summer.  I think I'm one of those people who work better under pressure.  This summer there have been many days when I have completely failed at making certain my husband had a healthy, balanced, home-cooked meal ready when he gets home.  Meh, he will forgive me.

This is a recipe that came to mind as I was cleaning my house yesterday (that is one thing I do not fail at during the summer!) and was organizing our "library" (books crammed into the shelving in the end table).  I had bought a "wraps" recipe book at Goodwill for $.25, mostly because it had great photography of the recipes.  Dumb, I know.  Now that I've gone through it, I can say I really would only eat 5% of the recipes, but it did give me a great idea for dinner!

You can use any cooked chicken you like, but I threw 4 chicken breasts with some water, garlic, onion powder, salt, and pepper in the crock pot for a few hours so that I didn't have to heat my house with the oven.  I like to buy whole bone-in breasts when they are super cheap and just peel off the skin and cook on the bone.  The chicken is always so much more tender than when I buy boneless skinless breasts and the whole breasts still have the tender attached.  Delicious.  Plus I can make stock with the leftover bones.  Booyah.

Chicken Bacon Ranch Wraps

  • 4 Chicken Breasts
  • Bacon, cooked and chopped (amount is at your discretion.  I will confess I like to buy the precooked stuff because it's cheaper and we don't need a full pound)
  • Lettuce
  • Tomato- fresh from our garden!
  • Diced fresh jalapenos- fresh from our garden! (obviously can be left out)
  • Whole Wheat Tortillas
  • Green Onions
  • Ranch Dressing (you will want a trough of this stuff.  Seriously.  I put it in my wrap and dipped it!)
Once you have cooked and pulled the chicken, heated your tortillas, cooked your bacon, and diced up your lettuce, tomato, green onion, and jalapenos, pile into the tortilla and drizzle with the ranch dressing.
Our only regret was buying small tortillas!  Simple, yet something different you can do with chicken.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

designed with love by beautiful dawn designs