Monday, November 22, 2010

Under {Garment} Construction

Being a sewing teacher is, well, the most amazing job ever- if you know how to sew and enjoy it.
And, let's be honest- I. AM. OBSESSED.
Not only does my class inspire me to be a consistent sewer so that I can be of more help to my students, but allows me to sew with them!  I spend the first month or sew (ha!) of my Sewing I class teaching about textiles, fabric design, and machine/stitch fundamentals.  Then, it takes a few projects for the kiddos to really "get it" to the point where they can problem solve and.. hmm, hmm...actually read their instructions.  At that point, we get to sew together and I do my "rounds" every so often to see how they're doing.  In between certain projects we take breaks to learn new seams, learn how to read patterns, and research up-and-coming trends.  but, for the most part, I'm crankin' things out like clockwork.

Here are a few of the things I have been working on lately!  If you click on the "Sewing" tab at the top, you will find patterns for some projects, picture tutorials for others!

Can you believe someone was going to throw this dress form away?! 

Skirt Made out of one of Daniel's old button-down shirts.  It now has a waist band on top.  Pictures soon!


 Worked on this skirt at school and had it on the dress form through each stage.  My students were SO excited when I wore it to school one day.  One of my 6th graders said, "Mrs. Gibson, will you make that in my size?"  I laughed... and said DREAM ON.  Kidding.  
Click Here for the pattern I used! 



 I saw a pattern for this pillow in the McCalls pattern book and thought, "I'm not paying $1 for this pattern (obviously a pattern sale!)- I can make it on my own!"  So, I did.  I made 2 and have another pillow from the same "design family" in between them.


My kids actually just finished this project- Pillow cases with piping, zig-zag stitching, and french seams.  I seam-ripped all of the pillow cases I own (8!), bought contrasting fabric for piping and the cuff (this one is not-so-contrasting.  The ones of my guest bed do, though!), and sewed them back up.  Little changes, but they make the world of difference.  The pattern is uploaded onto the Sewing Page!
I've got some more projects going, so I'll update soon.  We are in the process of buying our first house and moving (hooooray!), so chances are I will be a Sewing FREAK when it comes to window treatments and such.  I'll upload house pictures, too.

Thanks for reading!

1 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you made a "husband" skirt. That's what we should call them - you know how there are boyfriend jeans.

    ReplyDelete

designed with love by beautiful dawn designs