Monday, August 8, 2011

Tissue Paper Pom Pom {Tutorial}

I saw these pictures of "thrifty" baby nursery decor and fell. in. love.

How much do they cost and where do I get these?!?!!?
Well, Martha Stewart sells kits at Michael's and Toys 'R Us for:

I don't think so (Martha, I adore you, but you are rich and I am not.  My first teaching job paid me in gum.  Okay, not really, but close).  

Let's make them!

You need:
Tissue paper (6-8 pieces per Pom)
Craft wire or Pipe Cleaners
String/Ribbon to hang
Scissors!
  • First, lay all of your tissue paper pieces out on the table, layered on top of one another.

  • Accordion fold the whole length of the paper, starting at one end.  Your folds should be about 1.5inches wide.
I had a pretty handsome helper who proceeded to act like a fan dancer.  Sheesh.  This man makes me laugh!

  • When your paper is folded completely, trim the ends to be either rounded or pointed.  Either is very cute!

  • Twist your wire or pipe cleaner around the center point.  I cut my pipe cleaners in half because I AM CHEAP, so you need about 6inches of whatever you use.

  • Fan out each side to make the best "circle" you can.

  • Carefully, carefully, carefully, start separating each layer.  I did one of the left side, then one of the right side, then back to the left.  It makes life easier to do it this way.

  • Once you have puffed half of your layers, hold the pom in one hand, grasping the mid point.  Turn it over, and fluff the opposite side the same way so that you have a sphere.
 Annd...
 Please excuse the colors of our Pom.  Daniel wanted to make a "Man Pom"
Boys. will. be. boys. =)
    Woop woop!  So pretty, soooo cheap.  Mine are going in my classroom!  I will post pictures when they are all up.  LOVE it!
    When we start expecting one day (and if it is a girl), I will definitely be putting these into a mobile above the crib.

    Today was the first day back to school.  Something in me died a little knowing I didn't have any "me" time anymore, but part of me had butterflies at the thought of going back to school.  Maybe it's the smell of pencils and tape, the sound of  18 sewing machines drumming to the beat of Celine Dion, or all the fun things I can do (By the way- found a way to incorporate friendship bracelets into a lesson because A:  it is a textile and B:  we will be practicing math skills with it.  Don't judge- my classes are awesome).  Either way, God's put Romans 6:11-14 (we're studying it in Sunday School) on my heart:
    11 In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus. 12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its evil desires. 13 Do not offer any part of yourself to sin as an instrument of wickedness, but rather offer yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer every part of yourself to him as an instrument of righteousness. 14 For sin shall no longer be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace. 

    Of course, I am human and I sin.  I wish I didn't and I try not to, but I do and I will and it won't stop until I die.  I don't want to and try my hardest to stay clear of it because of the new life I have in Christ!  With the Lord's help and the pursuit of Him, slowly I am transformed into the likeness of Him, perfected on the day I stand in his presence.  Anything short of perfecting right now is forgiven, only through the blood of the cross.  This verse reminds me not to sin in my selfishness of wanting to be home, extending summer and not having to go to work.  Instead, I should be thankful for God's provision for my family that allowed me not to have to work this summer and for the awesome job, school, and students he has blessed me with.  My outlook should be that I am an "instrument of righteousness", ready and willing to do what He wants me to do to serve those at school.  What a great calling (and so hard to do sometimes for selfish reasons)!
    I am so blessed to work in my school and am thankful that, although many may not realize it, God reigns over it. He is the reason for my joy!

     

    1 comments:

    1. love the pom poms...I have been wanting to make some for a while. I just need a baby shower to host or something...way to go Daniel on your manly pom pom.

      ReplyDelete

    designed with love by beautiful dawn designs