Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Binkie Clip Tutorial

So... Love for Mondays didn't exactly happen.  =(  Fail.
Between a foot-high stack of papers to grade (yes, sewing teachers grade, too), Etsy orders, house managing (i.e. 5 loads of laundry, dishing, vacuuming, bathroom cleaning, and dinner... on a Tuesday night after school), and celebrating a great day at work for my awesome husband, it. wasn't. going. to. happen.
BUT I will not give up.  I will be loving Monday next week (remind me that I said this come Monday morning when I am dragging my feet into school!).
Before I start this sucker, I wanted to show you some new blogs I've found... and LOVE:
  • Kristina J- This one has some really awesome and cute sewing tutorials.  This chick loves Anthropologie (me lovey!), so she often refashions cheaper clothing to look like Anthro stuff (which, if you aren't familiar, is prriiiiiiiiicey).  I am planning on doing This to one of my shirts:

Please and thank you!
  •  Little Miss Momma- SO you just need to go here.  I am obsessed with this blog!  There are so many great tutorials at this site- I want to do them all.  
 Okay- ready for this?  It's not the most exciting tutorial, but it's still a great one.  I am working on some exciting ones for later in the week.  Enjoy!

Here are the supplies you need:

FYI- I ordered these clips on ebay and got them for $.10 each, rather than $1.50 each at Joanns!
First, lay your ribbon on the ironing board.  Fold the end down about 1/2 inch and iron it down.  Lay your fabric right side down on the ironing board.  Iron one of the short ends down about 1/4 inch to the wrong side, as shown:

Lay the ribbon on top of the fabric so that the folds are facing one another, as such:
As you can see in the picture above, fold in each side of the fabric just to the edge of the ribbon.  Iron down.  Fold again so that the sides overlap the ribbon:

With your machine, stitch each of these folds down onto the ribbon from one end to the other:
One end will look this way-this is the end you need to focus on right now!
 Fold the skinny minny ribbon in half and place into the space you created by sewing your folds down.  This should be the side of the ribbon/fabric that you folded.
Sew across to secure the ribbon:
The other end of the ribbon/fabric strip looks like this- and you need to stitch a zig zag across it.
Trim it down and thread through the clip like this:
Stitch a square around this folded part so to secure the clip:
Finished!
I made a ruffled and stitched it on top and looooooooooove it!

This was part of an Etsy order for some twin girls (so sweet!), so this is what was sent:

Oh my goodness.  Adorable.  These clips are great so that binkies don't fall on the floor and get all germie.  I don't have a baby to use them on, but I know Miss Claira wears them often!

Is she not perfect?  I think so!

Here is a teaser of what will come later this week...
Applique!
Peace out.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

designed with love by beautiful dawn designs