Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Soy Vay!

Daniel and I are totally addicted to Chinese food (You know, I use that word--"Addict"--waaay too much.  If we were really addicted to all the things I say we are, we would be a hot mess!)
I have to admit that I never really had Chinese food (or Taco Bell for that matter) until I was in high school.  If we had fast food growing up, it was McDonald's (hello childhood obesity) or Papa Johns (hello customer appreciation night).
We don't eat Chinese food a lot even though we really like it because 1.  It is so unhealthy! and 2. I can't make it well and we don't eat out a lot.
However I found this stuff thanks to Cheryl:
Holy. Cow.
The back of the bottle says that a Jew and a Chinese person became friends, joined food forces, and made this sauce (Sounds like the beginning of a really awful joke, but that's what it says!).  It is SO good.  In Cheryl's class, they use it to marinate beef and make Teriyaki Beef.  I made it with leftover chicken for a super quick stir fry.  I had everything on hand except for the sauce, which was {yikes} almost $6.  You don't need much though, so you could get at least 8 meals out of the bottle.  Here is what I did:

Ingredients for the entire meal:
  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I had baked them/foreman-ed them for a previous meal)
  • 1/2-1 cup Soy Vay
  • Extra Light Virgin Olive Oil (I used around 1 TBSP)
  • Brown Rice
  • Steamed Green Beans
Directions:
  • Saute chicken in the olive oil to warm it up and get it a little crispy (Not "fried" crispy.  I used only a tiny bit of oil!).  If your chicken isn't cooked already, saute it until it is no longer pink in the middle with more olive oil.
  • Add the Soy Vay.  Cook until warmed.  (If your rice isn't done and the sauce reduces (like mine did!), add about 1/4 cup of water and cook.  You will have more sauce to pour over the rice anyway.)
  • Serve with brown rice and green beans.
It was so good and tasted so much like the real deal that I didn't get a picture of it.  Daniel was really skeptical because he thinks teriyaki is always too salty.  It tasted more like General Tso/Kung Pao/all things delicious in a Chinese restaurant.
Trust me- if you are a Chinese fan, this will be some of the best $6 you will ever spend!

Side note-I have decided that once Christmas break starts in 4 DAYS I will blog every. single. day.  New challenge for me- the 17 blog posts of Christmas.
For now, I am thankful the semester is wrapping up, my classroom is getting cleaned and organized, and I get to see so much of my family over the next few weeks!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

designed with love by beautiful dawn designs