Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Basement Makeover!

Our  basement was painted a yucky green color when we moved in.  It also had some little holes that needed filling from a (stupid) dart board and some massive nail holes.  I always always hated it, Daniel kind of liked it,  and we never could decide what to do with it.  Plus,  I never had the time to do anything with it because of school.  Well, Daniel was sweet enough to let me do whatever I wanted in terms of paint and I'm not in school obviously so... Makeover!  (You will need to click on the pictures to make them bigger- Sorry!)
Before:
Do you see how the side of the wall/window that is painted green?  Why would you do that?  It was a pain to get that fixed!
What I notice most is that 1. It's green- HATE (funny side note- I was on BHG.com and took a "What color should I paint my basement" Quiz and, based on my "personality", they said Green.  NO!), 2. It's realllllllly dark in this room, which I also hate.
We had an almost-gallon of light grey paint- "burnished clay" by Behr- that we had originally planned to used in the bedrooms (we went back and got a darker gray!), so I just purchased another gallon (Which the guy didn't match correctly and gave me a darker color.  grrr!  Oh well, it worked) and the two covered it perfectly.  I have just enough left in one can for light touch-ups.
If you are in the market for paint and plan on going lighter over a dark color, the Behr Paint-and-Primer in One from Home Depot works great.  I have never had to paint more than 2 coats, even over stripes (yep, just like the commercial!)
Here is the After =)

Look- No green side-window!  I painted it white in case we want to change the wall color.  It will always stay white!
Look, Ma!  Vacuum Lines!
Some of the after pictures look a little green when I look at them now- they aren't!  The camera might make it look dark still, but it is not.  So much better!  Plus, I used Eggshell paint so that when the kiddies come along and we turn the basement into a play room, I can wash and touch up the wall easy peasy =)  I still have major decorating to do, but it's a step in the right direction!

Recipe?  Ya girl!

Scones
2.5 c flour
0.5 c sugar
2.5 tsp. baking powder
0.5 tsp salt
6 Tblsp COLD unsalted butter
1 c heavy cream (I used Fat-Free Half and Half)
0.5 c frozen fruit (~ish. Frozen helps keep the fruit intact. Blackberry and raspberry, peach, blueberry, chocolate chip, mango, etc.  I used chocolate for this recipe!)
 
I use a stand mixer. Mix first 4 ingredients. Add butter (chopped) and mix to a meal. Add cream and mix.
I used Fat-Free half and half instead of cream.  The scones aren't as crumbly, but for the amount of fat I save, it's good enough for me!  If you want it crumbly, use cream!

Add berries/chocolate and mix. Place onto flat floured surface, dust top with more flour, and form a circle.

Sprinkle with more sugar and cut into wedges. Place wedges on greased baking sheet. Bake in 425 degree oven for 15-17 minutes.
Voila!  Yummy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

designed with love by beautiful dawn designs