Friday, June 3, 2011

Beetlejuice... Beetlejuice... Beetlejuice!

I was out.....guess.... (yes!) thrifting, and I found some goodies.
Remember a few posts ago when I said my sister-in-law is expecting her first child at the end of the year?  Well, now I am keeping my eye out for baby things (I asked, she is not offended by thrift stores- I know some people are!) and I found a Boppy pillow!  It is in the Sweet Pea design and looks/smells like it was barely used!
New from Toys 'R Us:  $36.99

Goodwill Boppy-"Goppy":  $1.99!
 Besides, you can always take the cover off, wash the pillow, a make a new Boppy pillow cover.  I found a super easy pattern for a cover as well:
Boppy Cover Instructions
Boppy Cover Pattern Pieces
Sweet!

I also found this hideous dress.  I thought, uhhhhh, this looks like something you'd bury an old person in.  The thought of dead people made me want to throw up, so I put it back.  I walked around a little and thought, "Hmmmmm... I could make that into something".... and I did!  Here is the before photo:

It reminded me of the dress Geena Davis wore in Beetlejuice, but now that I google the photo, it looks nothing like it.  I think the whole dead-people thing made me think of her in that movie because.. well.. she's dead.
 Yeah- see, nothing like her dress.  Still!  It's ugly (both are, can  get an amen!?)
This is what I did to the dress I bought:
  1. Lay the dress flat, making sure the lining and dress are even.  Cut off the sleeves.
 2.  Cut across the chest right under the arm pit of the sleeve.

3.  Serge outside to lining around the top of dress.
It should now look like this:
Hey Bubba!  He loves having me home with him.  So cute.. but needing a hair cut!



4.  Hem top to the wrong side to create a casing (like PJ pants), leaving a hole to thread with elastic.  Attach safety pin to elastic and thread through the casing.  Stitch hole closed (not pictured).
Annnndddd... there you have it!
I might still add to it and shorten it, but I was pretty happy with how it turned out.   Can you believe someone was going to throw this dress form away?  To me, for free!

$4 baby!  Now, off to the washing machine- it smells like cheap perfume!

P.S. Become a "Fan" of Quiktrip on Facebook and get:
HELLLO!


 

1 comments:

  1. Wow! You are SO creative, Katie. I wish we lived closer so you could teach me your homey ways! I only dream of being this creative. I'll be sure to bookmark your blog and maybe somehow it will rub off on me :)

    -Sara

    ReplyDelete

designed with love by beautiful dawn designs