Thursday, June 9, 2011

Yo Quiero... Taquitos!

Sure, my hands are calloused from painting for 4 hours straight for 2 days, but I can still roll a taquito!

Whenever I plan our weekly meals and include something that required tortillas, I think, "Hmm..  I have 2-3 in the fridge.  Nope, need another package".  I do this every. time. until I am left with 6 packages of tortillas that each have 2 tortillas in them.  What to do?  Daniel looooves Mexican food (and gets so tan in the summer that we make mexican jokes at him.. so funny.  We went to Cabo a few summers ago and the hostess at Ruth's Chris just started speaking Spanish to him immediately.  Haha!), so I'm always looking for a good Mexican recipe.
Found it!

Stop.

Look no further for a good Taquito recipe- This. is. the. best!  I found it at Our Best Bites and love love love a lot of their recipes!



Ingredients
1/3 C (3 oz) cream cheese (I used fat free!)
1/4 C green salsa
Fresh lime juice (Calls for 1T, but I used the whole lime!)
1/2 t cumin
1 t chili powder
1/2 t onion powder
1/4 t granulated garlic, or garlic powder (I added some fresh, too!)
3 T chopped cilantro  (Left this out- couldn't even tell!)
2 T sliced green onions
2 C shredded cooked chicken (I cooked 2 chicken breasts ahead of time in the oven with some chili powder, garlic, onion, salt, and pepper and shredded it once it had cooled.
1 C grated pepperjack cheese (I used a 3-cheese blend- picture ahead)
small corn tortillas (and actually, flour ones are really good as well, and that's what I had!)
Salt
Cooking spray

Directions
Heat oven to 425. Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly coat with cooking spray.
Heat cream cheese in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds so it’s soft and easy to stir. Add green salsa, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, onion powder and garlic. Stir to combine and then add cilantro and green onions. Add chicken and cheese and combine well.
You can prepare up to this step ahead of time. Just keep the mixture in the fridge. 
 I found this cheese on sale at Price Chopper last week for $1.29.  It's realllly good!  Also, your mixture should look life this {right} when everything is mixed in =)
Work with a few tortillas at a time and heat in the microwave until they are soft enough to roll without cracking. Place 2-3 T of chicken mixture on the lower third of a tortilla, keeping it about 1/2 inch from the edges.

Then roll it up as tight as you can.
Place seam side down on the baking sheet. Lay all of the taquitos on the baking sheet and make sure they are not touching each other. Spray the tops lightly with cooking spray or an oil mister and sprinkle some kosher salt on top.
My Baking sheet is MIA.
Place pan in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until crisp and the ends start to get golden brown.
Dip ‘em in salsa, sour cream, or guacamole
Makes 12-16 corn, 10 flour

SO. GOOD.
Cheryl is coming over today so that we can master couponing, so no projects!  See you tomorrow!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

designed with love by beautiful dawn designs