Sunday, October 16, 2011

Sick Puppy

I added the hood and antenna.  So much better!
The last 12 hours have been filled with dog poop.
Sorry, but it's true.
I started last night around 8 when, well, Oscar had diarrhea.
It happened every hour, all night long and into this morning.  Probably the worst smelling poop I've ever had to smell... and I used to change 30 diapers a day, Monday through Friday, working at the daycare.
It was partly funny because he also had gas- so he would go, fart, and then get scared from his fart.  But, then it wasn't funny because he would splatter everything in sight, including the wall.  Then, it was all over him, so he had to have a bath- and repeat 10 times.
We finally broke down and called the vet.  They aren't open Sundays, so it referred us to an emergency vet in Overland Park.
Ugh.  Really?  I was worried we'd have to pay a lot.
However, a consultation was only $76 (why not $75?  Weird).
The normal vet is $50.  I felt better.
We went in, all the women loved him (but he wouldn't smile for them like he usually does).
He leaked everywhere, and they ran some tests.
Diagnosis- Drama Queen.
Not really, but really.  They said his GI bacteria is off from stress or any change- remodeling (yes, we were doing that yesterday), new treats (yes, he got new bones Friday), or being alone.  He hasn't wanted to eat or drink and most of his day yesterday was occupied by bone-gnawing.
Got him some drugs, some fluids from dehydration (they inject it into his skin and his body slowly absorbs it- it looks like camel hump and is cool to the touch.  It's hilarious!  Tech said not to be alarmed if it slumps to the side, also hilarious), and they put him on a bland diet of chicken breasts and white rice (which I now have to cook.  Ask me, sounds like an upgrade from dog food.  Must be nice being a sick puppy!)
However, his tush is going to probably continue to leak until tonight.
Fantastic.
I already tried to put a diaper on him.  Didn't work.

In the midst of my frustration (and diarrhea jeans from the ride there), I started to realize how thankful I am that it was just this.  I was sitting in the waiting room-duh, waiting- for Oscar to be done and a few dogs came in reallly sick.  They had to bring in a gurney for one (sad, but it looked really funny to be honest.  They strapped him down and wheeled him away and the dog had a look on his face like "this is ridiculous") and another one I think was being put to sleep.  The lady brought him in, didn't have to fill out paperwork like everyone else, sat with her HUGE dog, held his neck and gave him a hug, and started bawling.  I started praying for her and then started crying.  I didn't want her to know, though, so I tried to act like I was reading a Martha Stuart magazine.  It was so sad.  All I wanted to do was hug my puppy.
They finally brought him out, I shelled out $150 bucks, and he pooped on me the whole way home.  But I didn't care.
Poor little guy.
So weird how we attach ourselves to pets.  He's kind of like our baby.  I know it will change when we do actually have a baby, but I've always been that way with Pets. I remember having to put down our childhood Yorkie, Holly, when I was in college.  It was the weekend before and we were in church- I started crying my eyes out.  A friend gave me a hug, asked me if I was okay (probably was under the impression that it was a result of some deep reflection or time in prayer), and I said, "My dog is dddddddyyying!"
NOT exactly what she was expecting, but God hears all of our prayers and pains, alright!

Anyway, praying my little guy feels better soon.
In the mood for a recipe after all that poop talk?  I am, so too bad.


This was one of my very first posts and I made it last night.  YUM.  I added layers of frozen raspberries and it was disgustingly delicious.  My husband is getting a little sick of me adding fruit to everything (and in double quantities), but I don't care.  It's soooo good!

Banana Bread (with Raspberries)

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream
2 bananas, "rotten"
Cinnamon and Sugar
1-2 cups frozen raspberries
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan. Sprinkle inside with cinnamon and sugar.
2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add the eggs and vanilla, mix well. Add in bananas, cinnamon and nutmeg and mix well. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt in separate bowl. Stir together and add to batter, mixing slowly. Finally, fold in the sour cream. Spread 1/3 of batter evenly into the prepared pan.  Top with half of the raspberries.  Pour in another third.  Repeat raspberry layer.  Top with remaining batter.
3. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. Cool loaf in the pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.  Sometimes it takes longer when you add fruit- you be the judge!

Store in refrigerator overnight-it will make it super dense and moist!


I will have my very first guest post here tomorrow- it's sweet and hilarious and you will love it.
Happy Sunday!


 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

designed with love by beautiful dawn designs